Getting Grant Ready
You are an incredible organization with effective programs, great staff, super-human volunteers and
you serve a community in need – all you need is a grant!
But before filling in that funding application due in a week, you need to take a small step back and first determine if a grant is the best source of revenue to support your program. If you determine that grants are appropriate, then you need to ask yourself if you are grant-ready?
There are multiple sources of revenue for charities which include individual donors, corporations,
government, religious groups, foundations, and service clubs to name a few. Different kinds of
programs speak to different kinds of funders.
In a nutshell…
• Individual donors support programs people can easily understand, visualize, quantify and
• Corporations support programs that provide them with a market or profile.
• Government or foundation grants support programs that address systemic needs and offer
While grants are often enticing, it is important to remember that grants:
• are tied to performance outcomes;
• have little flexibility regarding spending; and
• require compliance and reporting.
So you want to move forward with a grant…..
It is a competitive process. Organizations increase their chance of being awarded funding when they
are a grant-ready organization with a grant-ready project or program. Both require an investment in